Saturday, May 4, 2013

Henry Heys, Reed Maker

I knew very little of Henry Heys' life before I stumbled over a couple of newpaper clippings from the Manchester Times. I knew he was a "reed maker" from census data but have to admit that I hadn't done much research on exactly what a reed maker was. That changed when I found a reply to a request for information on the man who taught Henry his trade:

Manchester Times January 27 1893


From this short clipping written by his daughter, I found out that Henry Heys had been apprentised as a young boy, what his nickname was and how he came to acquire his business. There is still much I don't know (the names of his parents and the maiden name of his wife Lydia for example) but it is good to celebrate small victories.

Page made with elements from Club Digital May 2013 by DSP Designers

No comments:

Post a Comment